Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What was Paul's thorn in the flesh? Part 2

So the question still remains, what was the thorn in Paul's flesh. To get a full understanding of this let's look at the place in the Bible where this is recorded. Let's look at the verses before and after it as well. It is recorded in II Corinthians 12:7 And because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,  for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me - to keep me from exalting myself!


Did you catch what that said? There was given me a thorn in the flesh, a "messenger of Satan to buffet me". The word messenger here means; a created spiritual angel whether good or evil. Clearly this was an evil one since it was of Satan. When we look at the word "buffet" it means to attack or torment repeatedly. The thorn in the flesh was not in any way physical it was obviously spiritual and it occurred over and over. I am sure right about now you are surprised at what the scripture says and you may be thinking about verses that you have heard that appear to teach that a person who has the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them can not be demon possessed. And you are correct. There is a huge difference in demon possession and demonization. For someone to be demon possessed the demon will indwell the person and control that person. But demonization is a totally different issue. Demonization means to have the influence or persuasion of demons in one or more areas of a persons life. And surprisingly it is even possible in some cases for this demonization to become so severe that the demon can possess a certain control over the person who is saved. This subject matter of demonization is the topic for a whole different study and I would suggest reading "The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare" by Dr. Ed Murphy for more on this subject. To help me wrap my mind around the concept of demonization, I look at the word westernization. Westernization is the influence of the West or the US on other cultures. When you look at Japan or Korea for instance their cultures have changed a lot due to the western influence in their country over the last few years. You can see some of the US in the way they dress, advertise, the music they listen to, and even what they watch on television. Demonization is the influence of demons on peoples lives. Demons can certainly try to pull us away from God and fellowship with Him. Demons also can use all sorts of physical and mental attacks on a Christian including persecutions, trials and tribulations as we will see when we look at the story of Job.

A Christian would be a fool to think that demons can not influence them. Paul says in Ephesians 6:11 -12 Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of the darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Paul obviously thought that demons could influence a Christian. He also tells us of the struggle inside of him between doing good and evil and how it is a constant battle to stay away from the flesh. Romans 7:14-21 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would  like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.

It is in our flesh where Satan loves to attack. In the Garden of Eden we see evidence of this. Genesis 3:6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. Satan made his argument to appeal to the flesh, "it was good for food"and "it made one wise". How could God not want that for her, she thought, and Adam agreed with her and both of them reacted in the flesh and sinned against God. We also see evidence of Satan attacking the flesh in the temptations of Jesus Christ in Luke 4 where Satan tempted Jesus with bread to feed his hunger, with the world so He would not have to die on the cross and with the opportunity to prove that He was who He said He was so as to keep from having to deal with humiliation. Satan has not changed his tactics and he still attacks us in our flesh, Christian or not. 

We will stop here for now and next time we will look at some of the similarities between Job and Paul in dealing with the same problem that plagues all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment