Saturday, September 10, 2011

What was Paul's thorn in the flesh? Part 4

Now lets look at Paul and how he struggled with the same problem of pride as Job. Since the writings of Paul are so vast we will only be looking at the verses close to our key verse II Corinthians 12:7. If we look closely we see a theme running through Paul's letter. In II Corinthians 7 we see Paul starting to "boast" about the Corinthians both in verses 4 and 14. In chapters 8 and 9 he does the same thing in verses 8:24, 9:2 and 9:3. Then in chapters 10 and 11 Paul starts talking about himself and we see the word "boast" starts to escalate in the number of appearances. We see it in 10:8, 10:13, 10:15, 10:16, twice in 10:17 and also in verses 11:10, 11:12, 11:16, 11:17, 11:18, 11:20, and twice in 11:30. Obviously this is a topic that Paul is bringing into focus. In chapter 12 Paul starts off in verse one by saying, "Boasting is necessary, though it is not profitable; but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord." His focus has been on boasting the last few chapters and now he says that boasting is necessary sometimes but not always profitable so now he will talk about the visions and revelations that God has given to him. But we will soon see that he quickly goes back into talking about boasting. In verse two Paul starts to talk about about himself in the third person. We don't really know it is him that he is talking about until verse seven. II Corinthians 12:2-6 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows—was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak. On behalf of such a man I will boast; but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses. For if I do wish to boast I will not be foolish, for I will be speaking the truth; but I refrain from this, so that no one will credit me with more than he sees in me or hears from me. 

Only God knows if this was an out of body experience or not because even Paul does not know. But he does know that anyone who had an experience like that would certainly be worth boasting about because to do so would be simply telling the truth. But he is not going to boast about the revelations he is only going to boast about his own weaknesses so no one will give him credit for anything that is not seen in his life or heard in his messages. So now comes the verse that is of concern to us which is clearly understood when reading the New Living Translation. 12:6b -7 But I won't do it, because I don't want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Paul tells us that it is he who received these wonderful revelations and then explains the thorn in his flesh. This thorn in Paul's flesh is clearly a demonic spirit sent to keep Paul from becoming proud. So how is a demonic spirit used to keep him from becoming proud? It would appear to most of us that a demonic spirit would be used to make him have the sin of pride not take it away.  Knowing this, Paul continues and explains how God uses the pride problem. God gives Paul the grace to deal with the problem. As a result Paul realizes he has this problem and humbles himself. Each time pride rears its ugly head Paul realizes it, humbles himself, confesses the sin and becomes weak. When he is weak, just like us, that is when God can use him and he becomes strong. II Corinthians 12:8-10 "Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Paul finishes up this letter to the Corinthians with this summation in 13:4 For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we shall live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you. Was Christ crucified because he was weak? Absolutely not! He was crucified because of our weaknesses to sin. The weakness in our flesh is why sin is in the world today and it is because of that weakness that Christ had to die on the cross for us. It is because of the power of God that Satan is defeated and no longer does death have a hold on us. Paul tells us this in I Corinthians 15:55-57 "O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The author of Hebrews also tells us that many men of old had their weaknesses turned to strength by God because of their faith. Hebrews 11:32-34 How much more do I need to say? It would take too long to recount the stories of the faith of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and all the prophets. By faith these people overthrew kingdoms, ruled with justice, and received what God had promised them. They shut the mouths of lions, quenched the flames of fire, and escaped death by the edge of the sword. Their weakness was turned to strength. They became strong in battle and put whole armies to flight.

We all have sins our lives that haunt us. And I believe all of us, if truth be known have some sort of pride issues. May we learn from Job, Paul and the many others. May we become aware of our pride and our other sins, humble ourselves and confess them to God who then will forgive us of those sins and draw us closer to him which will only make us stronger. May we become weak so that we may be strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment